General Questions and Discussions This conference is for general questions and discussions not related to one of the other conferences in this WebBoard.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
tremartin
Advanced Member

Default Does anyone use HAL without a landline?

Ok, I posted a question about a week or so ago asking if anyone uses a MagicJack with HAL. I didn't get a single response, but went ahead and ordered this little 'black box'. I received the MajicJack this week and went through a series of compatibility tests. I was pleased to find that not only did this device work GREAT with my home phones, but it also did not interfere with my ability to control HAL with my phone handsets. I currently pay about $60/mth for home phone service not including long distance. This little thing cost $47 including shipping and includes 1 year of service. Additional years are only about $20 per year. I am VERY pleased with the expected savings ($680 year 1 and $700 per year for atleast the next 4 years) and plan to use some of the savings to get more devices for my home automation setup. Just thought I would pass this along to those who may be looking.

BTW, the kicker is to have an internet provider that doesn't require a landline. My provider is AT&T and they now support DSL without a landline. WOO HOOOO!!!!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

HAL2000 4.0.65

MyServant 5.0.132

INSTEON - 2 Keypad Lincs, 3 In-Line Lincs, 1 Timer, 7 Switches, 1 Appliance Linc, 3 Motion Sensors, 2414U, 2 Access Points
tremartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
JimMcGowanInlet
Super Moderator

Default Re: Does anyone use HAL without a landline?

Wow do you see all the Negative comments about the MagicJack including mentions of over billing 400% and fraud? The reports also say the EULA indicates even though you pay for service it REQUIRES you to look at Advertisments. It also snoops on phone numbers you dial and target markets you and the people you dial.
DISCLAIMER: Use my advice at your own risk. If you are not familiar with how to safely accomplish a task HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. Improper use/installation can cause damage to equipment, fire, electrical problems and in some cases death.
JimMcGowanInlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
tremartin
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGowanInlet View Post
Wow do you see all the Negative comments about the MagicJack including mentions of over billing 400% and fraud? The reports also say the EULA indicates even though you pay for service it REQUIRES you to look at Advertisments. It also snoops on phone numbers you dial and target markets you and the people you dial.
Hi Jim!!
Yes, I have read the negative comments and have also read a ton of positive ones. I have also read negative comments in regards to HAL, but like you, I LOVE HAL!!! With that said, you can never please the people 100% of the time. Although the EULA may say you are required to look at advertisements, keep in mind that you don't need to be at your computer to use MajicJack...therefore, no advertisements. I have been up for 3 or 4 days now and haven't seen a single ad. Actually, I believe that statement may be left over from the initial release of MajicJack. I can neither confirm nor deny the snooping of phone numbers. What I can say is that if it is true, it is not the first or last program to do so. At this point, the benefits outweigh the negatives...atleast for me.

HAL2000 4.0.65

MyServant 5.0.132

INSTEON - 2 Keypad Lincs, 3 In-Line Lincs, 1 Timer, 7 Switches, 1 Appliance Linc, 3 Motion Sensors, 2414U, 2 Access Points
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
randy h

Hey tremartin, thanks for sharing your experiences with us regarding magicjack. I have been curious as to whether it would work with Hal. That's great news.

thanks again,
randy
randy h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
JimMcGowanInlet
Super Moderator

Glad to hear your experiance has been good. It looks like a nice product for the price but so many negative comments put a scare into me.
DISCLAIMER: Use my advice at your own risk. If you are not familiar with how to safely accomplish a task HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. Improper use/installation can cause damage to equipment, fire, electrical problems and in some cases death.
JimMcGowanInlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
TimShriver
Administrator

Please keep us updated with your experiences positive and negative with the product.

Thanks!

Tim
Old 09-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
rajenkins
Senior Member II

I have my Voice Portal connected between two ports on an Asterisk-based PBX.

Although I do also have a landline on the system, the 'Line' / Phone Number I use to remote access HAL is via a free VoIP service so the HAL system would function identically without a landline as long as internet access was available by some means.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Roel
Advanced Member

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone use HAL without a landline?

I just got my MagicJack lastweek.

1) You need XP or Vista. It will not run on Windows 2000
2) Everytime you use the phone, the dialpad is display. The left side of the dialpad show some advertisement. Since I don't use the dialpad, the advertisement doesn't bother me. The advertisement doesn't use network traffic because it's static "magic jack advertisement"
3) The dialpad window is about 1/4 of the screen (1024 x 76
4) It works great with HAL. All the features works
5) I have the magicjack connected to my houseline. So it service all the phones. The only thing that that doesn't work for me is, if my DishNetwork is plugin to my house line, HAL will not announce the caller. But HAL still logs the caller.
6) I didn't notice anything about the quality but on the caller side (my mom) said there's more echo with vona'ge compare to magicjack.
7) Can't comment anything on the features of MajicJack because I use HAL as my answering machien and voice mail. All I need is a dialtone

I think I have the same problem with vonage. But I can't remember. I don't watch that much PPV o I just unplug the dishnetwork.

Overall, I'm a happy camper.
Roel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
tremartin
Advanced Member

Roel, I'm glad all is working well for you with MagicJack. I too have been using it for some time now with much success. In fact, I dropped my LD service on my homeline completely. All I'm waiting for right now is for MJ to allow porting (WF) before I can get rid of our landline. FAQ says, "...sometime in 2009). Doesn't sound too promising to me though.

Jim Lipsit, didn't you buy a MJ some time ago as well?

HAL2000 4.0.65

MyServant 5.0.132

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
jlipsit
Advanced Senior Member II

yes, but I have not replaced my home line and have not tried it with HAL.

Jim

See more about HAL 2000 here:
Home Automation
jlipsit is offline   Reply With Quote