Home Automated Living Forums > HAL WebBoard > Shout Out » Main Stream Home Control

Shout Out Give a shout out to the board, let us know you stopped by, and how you love your HAL system

Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
companycmd

Default Re: Main Stream Home Control

I completely and utterly understand the user's point of view on this topic.

The issue is completely one of resources in that HAL is not owned by an IBMish company, but SHOULD be. I believe that day is coming very soon but NOT very cheap. Everyone is getting onto the conserve/manage resources and energy wagon.

What HAL does NOT and DOES do for me:

a. Internet radio. In order to broadcast radio throughout the house, we have wireless speakers everywhere. Using a desktop app called Screamer, we have selection of MANY forms of music and news. I use a mouse macro program to record mouse actions and save these as macros that I THEN use HAL to call into action.

Problem: There is no technology available today that tells me when a radio station is STUCK e.g. OFF e.g. no sound coming from speakers. What do to?

I write another macro that does this: Every 5 minutes in HAL, he enacts another macro that changes stations. This way, no matter which radio station is "idling" something will be playing.

b. Lighting. Using Insteon devices throughout the house, lighting programs are created in HAL for modes throughout the week. This of course is tied into music from Screamer.

c. Push the Friggin Button: This is the ONLY desktop dialog sensing app that I have been using since learning about via HAL message board. PTFB will look for any dialog that pops up and take action that I record, then watch the desktop going forward for it and all such dialogs, ANY that you can imagine. Why? Because these dialogs appear on top of Screamer, such that when the mouse macros are enacted, the covering dialog prevents the mouse macro from working (most of the time). What to do? PTFB to dismiss the dialog; even dialogs that come up after a scheduled task.

d. Watering timer. Via Insteon, not yet implemented by HAL could do this for us.

e. Video security. We don't use HAL because so many other apps exist.

f. Access from the world into HAL desktop on XP box. Yes, though in order to do this one must open the IP.

g. ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No HAL Android App.. "there no app for that."

Again, RESOURCES. WE MUST HAVE AN ANDROID APP!!!!!!!!!!!

h. USB. All things USB should be built into HAL v. 6 and only THEN will I upgrade and move HAL to a new computer NOTE: The next computer would likely be a TINY netbook. Why? IT'S TINY!!!! Asus Eepc or something like that. So, I am here waiting to see what will happen to HAL.
companycmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
JimMcGowanInlet
Super Moderator

Default Re: Main Stream Home Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by companycmd View Post
Problem: There is no technology available today that tells me when a radio station is STUCK e.g. OFF e.g. no sound coming from speakers. What do to?
Sure there is. Its called a silence detector. All you need to do is hook it up to an Ocelot or some other supported relay. Just google "Silence Detector" you will find alot of infomation.

Quote:
d. Watering timer. Via Insteon, not yet implemented by HAL could do this for us.
Which timer do you speak of. I think the Rain8 is supported directly. If not then its supported via Insteon Raw.

Quote:
g. ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No HAL Android App.. "there no app for that."
Yes there is. (Its in Beta <grin>) I use it. Works well but still has a few bugs.

Quote:
h. USB. All things USB should be built into HAL v. 6 and only THEN will I upgrade and move HAL to a new computer NOTE: The next computer would likely be a TINY netbook. Why? IT'S TINY!!!! Asus Eepc or something like that. So, I am here waiting to see what will happen to HAL
Im not a real fan of USB. 15' cable limitations is the biggest issue. The USB extenders add alot to the price,

Jim
DISCLAIMER: Use my advice at your own risk. If you are not familiar with how to safely accomplish a task HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. Improper use/installation can cause damage to equipment, fire, electrical problems and in some cases death.
JimMcGowanInlet is offline   Reply With Quote