HVAC (Thermostats) This conference is for topics related to HAL's HVAC features and the third-party HVAC controllers that can be used with HAL.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
heatvent
Advanced Member

Default RCS TR40 vs. TR16

Anybody have experience with either or both of these. Seems like there's a $75 difference but not sure why except maybe the TR40 has multizone cap??

I would be interested in comments on functionality, quality of the thermostat, compatibilty/functionality with HAL.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
jeffx

Default Re: RCS TR40 vs. TR16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
Anybody have experience with either or both of these. Seems like there's a $75 difference but not sure why except maybe the TR40 has multizone cap??

I would be interested in comments on functionality, quality of the thermostat, compatibilty/functionality with HAL.

Thanks!
The only difference is the Wall Display Unit (WDU), they both use the same exact control unit. TR16 allows you only basic control from the WDU such as changing the mode (auto/heat/cool/off) and the temperature set points.

The TR40 allows you to control all advanced functions of the tstat directly from the WDU (like schedules).

With the TR16, you have to install and use the RCS administration program on the computer that the tstat is connected to (HAL PC) in order to access any of these advanced features. This can be a pain (because you have to shut down HAL before firing up the RCS program), but in my case, the TR16 was a better fit for my house--because of the simple interface, much higher on the WAF scale. The $75-100 price difference helped my decision also.

The RCS stats are very high quality, can handle just about any setup (i.e. I have a high efficiency multi-stage furnace), are very expandable, very future proof and work great with HAL. I've also setup a TR16 connected to an Elk M1G for a relative, works flawlessly.

Last edited by jeffx; 01-25-2008 at 11:34 AM.
jeffx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
dphotog
Advanced Member III

Default Re: RCS TR40 vs. TR16

I have a TR40 running on an AHA232 hub connected to four remote sensors (3 indoors and one outside). All of this is connected to HAL2000 and works perfectly and the stat is really professional. The remote stats (RS21) don't announce when the temp changes, so you have to have HAL query them (I wrote a helper app in .Net using HALi to do this and update my touch screens).

Dphotog